This week I've mostly been working on the oil painting of my bro-in-laws house. I asked my sister to send me some reference photos without cars parked outside. Turns out there isn't a time when there aren't cars parked outside!
Also I was slightly off when I dated the house to the 1800s - it was actually built in 1580!!
Anyway I decided I didn't much like what I'd done so far. It seemed flat and the perspective was all wrong. So I repainted most of the painting, changing the angles of windows, walls and the way I applied the paint. I also found myself adding a lot of red and pink; colours which don't really exist in my reference photos but I quite like the result.
I'm not sure why but even if I stand back from the canvas I still don't see the things that are wrong the way I can when I take a photograph. So once I finished last night, I took a photo for the Paint Party and straight away saw that the angles still weren't quite right. Still, I have to leave it to dry again for a few days and hopefully, hopefully I'll get it right and can start with the little details to add some depth on the session.
In other news, I took my portrait of Reuben to work today and found an empty office to draw in at lunchtime because otherwise I'll never get it finished! This has the added bonus that if I'm drawing at lunchtime then I'm not spending money at the shops!
|King's House - built in 1580!|
I'm off now to see what everyone else has been up to on Paint Party Friday!